Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Missed Connections.

As previously mentioned, I'm completely obsessed with craigslist's missed connections.

And no, I know what you're thinking - I'm not on there looking for myself....for one, I've already found myself once or twice, thankyouverymuch.

Secondly, and more significantly, the people who actually go through with posting missed connections are, by and large, not the kind of people I would consider going on a real, live date with. This rule is, of course, circumstantial and dependent upon who such secret admirer is and whatnot, but I would go so far as to say it's true more often than not.

Especially when I see posts like this.

i saw you roughly 4-5 years ago on the 512 Keele westbound streetcar from st clair station (east) during the school year. you we're about 5'2" - 5'6", brunette or dark brown hair, with caramel skin and light coloured eyes (blue/grey/green/hazel). you we're wearing a sort of sailor's coat and jeans. you we're sitting near the back and i was standing infront of the rear doors. I never went up to say anything because i was very shy then and it was pretty crowded. i thought i saw you again near mt. pleasent and eglinton but when i went for the double take you were gone so i think i might have just been dreaming that one. i know it's a long shot but there hasn't been a day that's passed by that you haven't crossed my mind... and i really want to know why, i wish i had said something even if it was stupid so you would have atleast noticed me...i hope you did...

Okay, so let me get this straight...dude saw this girl who may have been between 5'2" and 5'6" who may have had eyes that were one of four colours 'roughly' four to five whole fucking years ago, didn't speak a word to her, has thought of her every day since, quite possibly experienced a hallucination of seeing her again, and is now turning to CRAIGSLIST MISSED CONNECTIONS to find her??!

If this isn't one of the most disconcerting things you've ever read...well, then I really don't know what on earth you've been reading, and nor do I want to for that matter.

Other cities are great to read as well. One observation I've made is that Paris tends to have the fewest missed connections posts while New York consistently appears to have the most (and, might I add, the craziest of the bunch).

I like to think of craigslist missed connections forums as social experiments of sorts; I feel like clicking through the postings in any given city provides me with some tiny bit of insight as to what the populus of that place is like....which, in essence, leads me to the conclusion that there are stalkers, innocent romantics, criminals, lovers and assholes all across the globe, and that they are more craigslist-savvy in some cities than in others.

But yeah, you know what I mean.

And moreover, who am I kidding? I so checked this morning to see if that guy reading 'On Being & Nothingness' and making adorable eye contact with me at Osgoode station yesterday posted anything.

1 comment: